It all happened so fast. I had a real nice day on Saturday. Mom hung out with me in the studio and we had some special quiet time together.

Saturday night I ate another yummie meal with my favorite pumpkin mix to keep my poops nice and solid.

We went to bed as usual. I followed mom into the bedroom and lay down next to her side of the bed. Lately mom has been draping her old flannel shirt over my shoulders just to make sure I stay warm.

Around 3am I started thrashing around. I’ve done this before for a few seconds, but this time it just went on and on. Mom quick turned on the light and saw I was having a seizure.

I don’t remember much about the seizure except I couldn’t stop from kicking my legs. I felt mom’s hand on my neck and heard her telling me to take a deep breath and don’t be scared.

When I stopped thrashing around mom lifted me up and carried me to the big rug where I couldn’t hurt myself by crashing into something.

I was all confused. I kept looking around for mom when she was right in front of me. Finally the world stopped spinning and I was able to lie still.

I felt something warm and wet dripping onto my snout. I asked mom was it raining? She laughed and said no, it was her tears.

When I looked up Ash was right next to me. His big blue eyes were soft with sorrow. Ash can’t stand to see anybody suffer, but he’s especially protective of me. It’s the blue dog thing.

I felt something pinch my spine and I let out a yelp. Then I saw her. Codie was standing right behind Ash motioning for me to stay silent.

“Nellie, I’ve come for you,” Codie said. “It’s your time.”

This was all as Codie had promised two years ago when she saved my life at the dog shelter. She told me she would watch over me and be with me when it was my time to cross the bridge.

While Codie and I were silent talking, mom gave me a shot of morphine to stop the pain. Pretty soon I was totally relaxed and enjoying all the attention.

Mom and dad loaded me and Ash into the car and we drove off into the night. I was wondering how Codie was going to find us, but then I noticed she was in the car too. Funny that only I could see her.

Pretty soon we got to a dog hospital. Two really nice ladies helped mom load me onto a gurney. Mom tucked my favorite quilt around me so I wouldn’t bang my head on the cold table.

The hospital ladies kept saying how pretty and sweet I looked. One asked if I like my food. What a silly question. Of course I do!

The ladies gave me a plate of baby food. It was soooo good. I slurped down every last bite then lay my head down and waited for Codie to lead me over the bridge.

Mom and dad both kissed me good bye and wished me godspeed on my trip. Mom said it had been an honor to care for me and she would cherish the memories of our time together forever.

While mom was cradling my head in her hand, I licked her fingers real gently. I wanted to say thank you one last time and taste the hand that had loved and cared for me these past two years.

Soon the doctor arrived with his medicines. With mom and dad holding me and Ash looking on, the medicine turned out the lights in this world so I could see to cross the bridge with Codie.

I will bark again from the other side, but for now my pack is in mourning and I must stay still. As greatly as they loved me, so will they equally grieve my passing. This is the ancient ritual of humans. In time the terrible sorrow will pass and happy memories will return. I await the time when my people speak my name without sorrow. I hope that time comes soon.








7 comments for “Farewell

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.